- DATE of EXAM must be included on the first page.
- Explain all “yes” answers in the space provided on the first page of History Form. Without an explanation the school physician will not be able to approve the student athlete for participation.
- Complete each page completely including name, age, date of birth, sport, Medications, and signatures of athlete and parent.
- Physical Examination Form, Pages 3 and 4, must be signed by a Doctor, Advanced Practice Nurse (APN), or Physician Assistant (PA).
- Cardiac Assessment Professional Development Module is now required for all sport physicals. This section must be signed by the person completing the physical exam.
- All completed forms should be given to the school nurse at your child’s school. ***During summer hours the School nurse will not be available daily to collect physicals. Please place the physical in the drop box in the security office at GHS. Do not give the form to your child’s coach, teacher or any other person in the school. The school nurse will be scheduling time to review and process sports physicals during the summer.
- Please ensure that all information and appropriate clearances are attached to the Sport Physical
Frequently Asked Questions about Sports Physicals
- What is a “Sport Physical”: a sport physical is actually an athletic pre-participation evaluation which is mandated by the New Jersey Department of Education. It is required for all students in grades 6-12 who want to participate in athletics and some competitive clubs. A physician, advanced practice nurse or physician’s assistant must examine the student and review the heath history to determine whether or not the student may participate in sports with or without limitations. The Sport Pre-participation Evaluation form will then be sent to the School Physician. He/She will provide written notification to the parent stating approval or disapproval of the student’s participation in athletics based upon the medical report. Students cannot begin participating until the school physician completes the review process.
- How long is a Sports Physical good for? A Sports Physical is good for 365 days from the date of the medical examination. If the examination is completed more than 90 days prior to the first practice session the student and parent are required to complete a Health History Update questionnaire. This form is available at the nurse’s office or the main office of your child’s school.
- What should I do if my child has asthma, a significant allergy or some other health issue requiring the use of medication? In the event that the student has asthma, an allergy that requires the use of medication or other health condition requiring intervention, the student must provide a written order from his/her healthcare provider for the management of this condition. The Sports Physical form will not be forwarded to the school physician until all documentation is provided to the school nurse.
Last Modified on June 24, 2020