Biology is devoted to the study of living things and their processes. Throughout the semester this course provides an opportunity for students to develop scientific process skills, laboratory techniques, and an understanding of the fundamental principles of living organisms and how they relate to their own lives. Students will be challenged to think about course content and not simply to memorize a series of facts. Topics include, but are not limited to the following: ecology, cellular biology, genetics, and evolution and diversity.
- Teach students practical scientific skills, which they can use to investigate, study and explain the world around them.
- Give students a deeper understanding of the how biology impacts their daily lives.
- For each student to achieve the NJ Core Curriculum Standards for High School Biology.
- To encourage the spirit of scientific investigation and with it the attitudes of accuracy in thought and work.
This Schoology Learning Management System will be used to provide online materials for this course. Login to the course daily for updates, instructions, assignments, etc.
Keys for Success in Biology:
- Have a positive attitude!
- Be prepared.
- I am here to help you succeed, so feel free to ask me for help.
- Ask lots of questions. If you are unclear about something from the textbook, lab, or from discussion, ask.
- Make sure that you understand how the lecture, learning activities, and labs interrelate. Labs and homework are designed to reinforce significant ideas from the text. Make sure that you see these connections.
- Start studying for tests early. By studying and reviewing each night you are not only helping to prepare for the test more effectively, you are also more prepared for class each day and any quizzes that may be given.
Updated for Fall Semester 2021